Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Feminism in the Lower North Shore

The Leisure Centre where my daughter has swimming lessons* sent me an invitation to celebrate this, the 100th International Women's Day. Women are asked to:

Nurture your inner beauty and revitalise your body and mind for International Women's Day with fitness classes, health assessments, tours of the centre, posture analysis, nutrition advice and drop in massages, all free.


The invitation includes the logos of the local council and the NSW Government's Office for Women's Policy so someone has decided this is a good idea.

Now aside from these classes being scheduled from 9:30 till 1:30 and so completely irrelevant to me and other women working that day, I'm not really sure our feminist trailblazers ever envisaged IWD being spent learning how to Zumba.

Weren't they more interested in things like getting the vote, equal pay for equal work and paid maternity leave?

And yes I do know that women's health is important and not everyone works full time and encouraging us to learn about nutrition and the importance of maintaining an active lifestyle is going to contribute to our longevity so we can monopolise the remote control in the nursing home rec room

but

this seems to me at least

to be

just a little bit

um

patronising.

But hey, at least they're offering free childcare! I'm sure they'll be swamped.

*Not, I stress, the expensive and dodgy chain of gyms I give money to and pretend to attend. Something for free? Not likely

3 comments:

The Coffee Lady said...

"I'm not really sure our feminist trailblazers ever envisaged IWD being spent learning how to Zumba"

you made me laugh out loud there

I've sworn my head off this year and previous ones about IWD turning into a pamper session

Mary Bennet said...

Dearie me, so they're not even original!

I've been out of internet range for a couple of weeks (and then back but with an infected computer) so I couldn't comment in a timely way that my local library's celebration of the 100th IWD included a display of appropriate books including "Lives of 12 Bad Women". Sadly, it's under glass and not for loan.

zmkc said...

There really is nothing like a health assessment to nurture one's inner beauty