Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not quite a New York story

I had to fill in a form so last night I dug out my daughter's birth certificate for the first time in three years.

I realised it wasn't entirely accurate.

According to it, I lived at one address and her father lived somewhere else rather than our actual state of cohabitation. I mean we were both listed in the same block of units but whoever had typed the form mistook an 8 for a 3 so one of us had a false address in an entirely fictitious level of the building.

I wondered if that anonymous data entry person had speculated about why two people havinga child chose to live so close to each other and yet not together.

Did they think about how we met? Was it a romance begun in the car park or the lift lobby? Did we find each other on the train? Or we were like the erstwhile couple Mia Farrow and Woody Allen who deliberately had separate apartments they could look at each other across Central Park? Not that that turned out to be such a great way to raise a family....

But then I wondered whether, if we had the same surname, their quality control might have realised it was just bad handwriting rather than an unlikely coincidence.

Must work out how to get it fixed now.

No comments: